FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

subtitle

<<

abbu

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 am

subtitle

I'm trying to activate the subtitles when playing dvd/ vob files.

I've searched for subtitles on this forum to give me some direction but despite that I have no clue where to start.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:46 am

Re: subtitle

That's not possible, only external srt files are supported
<<

abbu

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:55 pm

to make it work I should download the srt file and put in the video directory ?

does it work the same for other file types e.g. mkv ?
I copied srt file to same directory. options on panasonic does not see the subtitle!
<<

zip

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:48 pm

it might not work for mkv's, I'm not sure as I don't have Panasonic. It should work on avi's, mp4's etc.
For vob's you'd need to split the srt into more files to correspond to the vob files, or join the vob files into 1 mpeg file.
<<

serviio_nz

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:47 pm

I couldn't get subtitles to play on my P42V20 (2010 model) on the one mkv file I've tried them on.

I had the .srt file in the same directory as the mkv, it was named exactly the same (except for the extension, of course), but still no dice. YMMV.
<<

Jagrys

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Subititles does not work for mkv files on Panasonic plasmas.
<<

abbu

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Ok,

I have movies in mkv format. I want to watch them with subs, which I have to download first.

Seems I have to convert the mkv's to a different format, what program and format whould you advice ?
<<

lalitswain

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:43 pm

yes same issue here. avi and subtitles are good with Serviio. But i am not able to see subtitle with MKV files even though i am coping the srt file in to same path.

If this feature is not there in current version , are we expecting to get in the next version of serviio ?

It would help all the Panny viera users.

Many thanks.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 pm

lalitswain wrote:yes same issue here. avi and subtitles are good with Serviio. But i am not able to see subtitle with MKV files even though i am coping the srt file in to same path.

If this feature is not there in current version , are we expecting to get in the next version of serviio ?

Many thanks.

it panasonic that dont support this and NOT serviio, so there is no feature to add. :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

lalitswain

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:44 pm

But I can see subtitle on same tv for those mkv files if i play it through PS3 media server. So if PS3 media serevr can handle subtitle on mkv files , sorry still i am not clear why Serviio can't show it. :?

Cerberus wrote:
lalitswain wrote:yes same issue here. avi and subtitles are good with Serviio. But i am not able to see subtitle with MKV files even though i am coping the srt file in to same path.

Many thanks.

it panasonic that dont support this and NOT serviio, so there is no feature to add. :)
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 pm

lalitswain wrote:But I can see subtitle on same tv for those mkv files if i play it through PS3 media server. So if PS3 media serevr can handle subtitle on mkv files , sorry still i am not clear why Serviio can't show it. :?

PS3 media server probably use mencoder that support burning subtitle into video stream.
Serviio/FFmpeg doesn't support subtitle burning yet.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

zip

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Yep, I think there is a setting in PS3MS to force transcoding for subtitles support (or something along those lines). Try to uncheck it and see if it still works. If it does a wireshark capture would help.
<<

will28uk

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:33 pm

this post links up with my recent post abt problems viewing subtitles on mkv files with serviio to a panasonic blu ray player

i too tried ps3 media server before using serviio. i cannot say when i first noticed the subtitles showing as wasnt consciously noting this...but certainly they were showing in serviio and might be linked with the prior installation of ps3 media server?

any update from the original poster on this topic? im going to try again with ps3 media player to see if subtitles appear through this and whether somehow i can get them to reappear again with serviio by trial and error .
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:34 pm

PSMS uses a different system to serviio (mencoder) that why it may work with that but not sith serviio at this time.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging

Return to Panasonic