FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio 1.2 on Mybooklive - partial success

<<

SL06

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Serviio 1.2 on Mybooklive - partial success

Hi,

I have been playing with Serviio 1.1 for few days with difficulty. I have now install Serviio 1.2. Its not fully tested and I have some difficulties but there some hope.

I have latest version of Twonky install, but I have found out that Serviio server let you access aac / ac3 file through transcoding from my Samsung Smart TV and DVD player.

Here my firmware version 2T drive: MyBookLive 02.32.05-046 : Core F/W

I have tried several thing and did several reinstall with Serviio 1.1 before 1.2 came out - sorry if I cannot detail everything.

What I have done and should work (at tyour risk - I am not a programmer):

1. Follow the instruction from that site with the adaptation below: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=install_wd
If you are on Mac, use Terminal utilities to access your MBL with ssh - see name and password on your MBL ex: ssh root@mybooklive
password : welc0me (0 not o) see : http://mybooklive/UI/ssh):
2. At point 6 the download command for Serviio wget is the following wget http://download.serviio.org/releases/se ... nux.tar.gz
3. Follow instructions up to point 8 but replace serviio-0.6.1 by serviio-1.2 in each command
4. Read each installation message, There will be few error because of version changes, some that you can fix. They dont seem fatal.
5. At point 9 dont install FFMPEG, yet. Check if its install by typing # ffmpeg -version. This is my version:
FFmpeg SVN-r0.5.1-4:0.5.1-3
libavutil 49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
libavcodec 52.20. 1 / 52.20. 1
libavformat 52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
libavdevice 52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
libavfilter 0. 4. 0 / 0. 4. 0
libswscale 0. 7. 1 / 0. 7. 1
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0

I have not tried to update to a different version yet, I know that there is some minor issues with this version. Ideally, you want to get the ffmpeg version suggested by Serviio. I am not shure how to do that yet. It could also affect Twonky since it use ffmpeg (i Think...)

5. To configure Serviio, I have install Servio 1.2 on my Mac computer. I did a copy a Serviio-console and rename it Serviio-console-MBL. If you right-clic on this file, you can access the "package" . In the Content folder, open Info.plist with TextEdit.At the end of the file, you have to add 2 line ans save. The 192.168,2,10 is the adress of MBL on my network. Change for yours and make shure that the adress is fixe.
<key>serviio.remoteHost</key>
<string>192.168.2.10</string>

</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

6. Serviio-console-MBL will let you access remotely, from your computer, Serviio server on MBL, and set the preference.

7. When you start Serviio on MBL, follow also the log file in a new window from terminal with the command :
tail -f /usr/local/serviio/serviio-1.2/log/serviio.log

8. Serviio-console wont work until Serviio as fully start. It might take 5 min.

9. Serviio-console will allow you to add your music, video, picture file. The path are : /shares/Public/Shared Music for Music on my MBL.
Adding file take about 1 sec by file, so 3000 music files is close to 1h. Serviio is not available during that time. If you enable the option Retrieve Metdata, it will be a lot longer.....

I suggest that you test Serviio with a small music folder before you try your whole collection. Check the log file to make shure that things go smoothly.

I have install WEBUI but I have not experiment with it enough to recommended it. I have encounter some problem initially. I thonk that WEB UI versin have to match Serviio version.

How does it work ? Its a bit slower than Twonky.

I have access my music library with my Onkyo receiver equiped with DNLA, - no problem
I have access my music file with Samsung Smart TV and also My SAmsung DVD player . Small library work fine (even AAC file). Long library give me an error. Serviio is a bit slow to respond and it could be a time out error. It will need more testing.

I have not tried any movie yet.

I have not disable Twonky when testing Serviio.

I will do more testing this week.

:o I have done more test with my Samsung Smart TV and DVD player.
Have not done full test yet but Movies are working .
Music are also working with limited size library.
If I point the path to my full size music library, it stop working. Serviio take a fair amount of time to respond so It might be because of a time out error when the library is to big (355 disc folder = 3000++ file ). It could also be a bad folder, but its less likely.
AAC file plays but dont make it up to the end of the song. It could be a speed issue with transcoding.
I will do more testing.... Suggestion would be appreciate.
<<

busterdan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Serviio 1.2 on Mybooklive - partial success

Thanks for your efforts, I'm watching this thread with interest.
<<

busterdan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 pm

I tried following you walk through and also the one fro steps 1 - 6 but I've not been able to get Java installed, seems to be due to unmet dependencies?

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
aptitude-common: Breaks: aptitude (< 0.6.8-1) but 0.4.11.11-1~lenny1 is to be installed
openjdk-6-jdk: Depends: openjdk-6-jre (= 6b27-1.12.4-1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libxt-dev but it is not going to be installed
<<

SL06

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Hi Busterdam,

Sorry, but I wont be able to help you to much.
As mention I did get some error message during the installation. Sometime it suggest an alternative that I could use.
Also, I had the last version of Twonky installed,. So maybe in my case, some resource were shared (ffmpeg + other)

I would try to run again the step which give you error. Also, you could try the MBL WD forum, for Java installation. They might have better instruction with more recent file.

May be a more recent version of Java and FFMpeg would fix the problem that I have describe.

I wont go to much further myself on this. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge (and time) will find the way.

Good luck.
<<

busterdan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 am

SL06, thanks for your help... I am up and running... to a degree... see my post here viewtopic.php?p=70010#p70010

Return to NAS installation