FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Limit groups to 1000 items for Samsung devices

<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Limit groups to 1000 items for Samsung devices

There unfortunately exists a 1000 item limitation in certain B-series and C-series Samsung devices (and possibly D-series as well):
http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2879

Add some logic into the Serviio service so that, when a Samsung B-Series or C-Series device is detected, the server returns items to the Samsung renderer in chunks no larger than 1000 items in size. If a similar limitation exists on other renderers, this proposal might be applicable to more than just Samsung devices.

For example, using my own personal music media collection, if I were to select "Music" --> "Titles" --> "S", I should get a listing that is approximately 4,500 items in size. However, due to the 1000-item limit of my Samsung firmware, I only get the first 1000 items returned. The remaining 3,500 items of the listing are silently truncated by the Samsung firmware.

If the Serviio logic could count the number of items to be returned by a specific query (in this case Music-->Titles-->S) and breakup the listing into smaller chunks (Titles beginning with "Sa" thru "Sh", Titles beginning with "Si" thru "Sm", etc.), the 1000-item limit of the Samsung firmware would cease to be an issue.

In fact, many users, regardless of the brand of their renederer, might find that some sort of "per query limit" that is settable though the console might be highly desirable.
Joe Philipp
Samsung UN46C6900 | Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | Kubuntu/Ubuntu 11.04
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Limit groups to 1000 items for Samsung devices

this has been requested before. My problem with it is whether users will be happy going through the additional level of hierarchy to find their file, especially users who are not hit by the 1000 items limit (either different renderer or not so many files). To make this configurable with just a single click doesn't fit the current design of the presentation engine.
<<

wagstaff

Serviio lover

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:25 pm

zip said:
this has been requested before. My problem with it is whether users will be happy going through the additional level of hierarchy to find their file, especially users who are not hit by the 1000 items limit (either different renderer or not so many files). To make this configurable with just a single click doesn't fit the current design of the presentation engine.

I understand that some users, especially those not affected by the firmware limit might not appreciate the extras levels in the heirarchy. That's why I suggest it be configurable. If the console is not the best or easiest way to do this, how about making it an optional configuration item in the configuration XML (profiles.xml?)?
Joe Philipp
Samsung UN46C6900 | Windows Server 2003 SP2 | Mac OS X 10.5.8 | Kubuntu/Ubuntu 11.04
<<

micattack

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 am

wagstaff wrote:
zip said:

I understand that some users, especially those not affected by the firmware limit might not appreciate the extras levels in the heirarchy. That's why I suggest it be configurable. If the console is not the best or easiest way to do this, how about making it an optional configuration item in the configuration XML (profiles.xml?)?

I second that request. For me the problem is that sometimes I want to find a movie (say beginning with S) but going to Titles/S also yields my simpsons episodes and going to movies on my samsung is slow to get to the Page with S.
So a Alphabetic option like Title does it for movies. In the Console this could be done in "Presentation" Tab (Display Category/Display Content Only/Display Content Alphabetically/Disable)

A bonus option would be the above mentioned hierarchy

So Movies -> S -> SE -> (all movies, eg. "Secret Window") This could even go beyond 2 leading characters to simulate something like "search auto completion"
<<

cerothen

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:57 pm

I would like to support this request as well, recently one of my folders exceeded 2000 items (the limit for Xbox 360) and the end part of the list is cut off.

Either wagstaff's solution or perhaps an additional setting in the 'Profiles.xml' section indicating the max displayable items for that renderer. Then if that quantity is exceeded switch to scheme B for lists sent to that renderer.

Scheme A
Video -> Folders -> [FolderName] -> [List of Entries]
Video -> Actors -> [Starting Char] -> [ActorName] -> [List of Entries]

Scheme B
Video -> Folders -> [FolderName] -> Page [1 through {Total / Displayable}] -> [Excerpt of Entries]
Video -> Actors -> [Starting Char] -> [ActorName] -> Page [1 through {Total / Displayable}] -> [Excerpt of Entries]

The benefits of having it set through the "transcoding profiles" would be that the user experience would remain unchanged for renderers without limits and improved for renderers with limits. (Eg. BubbleUPNP can get to all items in Scheme A; Xbox 360 needs to use Scheme B if folder contains more than 2000 items)

Return to Feature requests