FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ethernet 802.1Q/1P VLAN Tagging

<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Ethernet 802.1Q/1P VLAN Tagging

On my wired Ethernet NIC (Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC), I could enable the 802.1Q QoS properties.
Start->Connexion-> Right click on Ethernet NIC -> Properties -> Configure -> Avanced -> 802.1Q -> Enable.

I don't know if enabling this feature could improve the DLNA connection?
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Ethernet 802.1Q/1P VLAN Tagging

Reading the guide line for DLNA yes QoS ( quality of service ) will improve streaming BUT only if the devices used support it.( http://www.dlna.org/about_us/roadmap/ )

other information.

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/d ... 051221.pdf

ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/ist/docs ... fet_en.pdf
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Cerberus wrote:...BUT only if the devices used support it.

How to know if supported?
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Illico wrote:
Cerberus wrote:...BUT only if the devices used support it.

How to know if supported?

manual i guess or turn it on and see if you get an improvement. But seems like a very new addition so i doubt most devices will support it
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

hpsn

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 am

Ok, an extremely brief tutorial on 802.1q. I will presume you know what a VLAN is?

802.1Q is a protocol used at Layer 2 to enable multiple VLANS on a single physical link. 802.1q header provides support for including 802.1p priority bits. For the 802.1p priority bit to exist and to work, you need the following, the switch port that the PC is connected to will need to support tagged frames (i.e a trunk in cisco terms), that means the switch will need to support VLANS, it will also need to support some QoS features.

If your switch is a dlink or just a normal consumer switch, i doubt it will support vlans let alone QoS features.

Also, there is a big misconception that enabling QoS will fix all problems, QoS only kicks in when there is congestion on the link. If you PC is connected to a 1gbps port or even a 100Mbps ports and so is your client in an average home network, I doubt you will have congestion on any of the link.

In short, will it help you, sure if you think your network is congested, but make sure your switch/router supports .1q and .1p

Hope this helps

HPSN
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 am

hpsn wrote:Ok, an extremely brief tutorial on 802.1q. I will presume you know what a VLAN is?

802.1Q is a protocol used at Layer 2 to enable multiple VLANS on a single physical link. 802.1q header provides support for including 802.1p priority bits. For the 802.1p priority bit to exist and to work, you need the following, the switch port that the PC is connected to will need to support tagged frames (i.e a trunk in cisco terms), that means the switch will need to support VLANS, it will also need to support some QoS features.

If your switch is a dlink or just a normal consumer switch, i doubt it will support vlans let alone QoS features.

Also, there is a big misconception that enabling QoS will fix all problems, QoS only kicks in when there is congestion on the link. If you PC is connected to a 1gbps port or even a 100Mbps ports and so is your client in an average home network, I doubt you will have congestion on any of the link.

In short, will it help you, sure if you think your network is congested, but make sure your switch/router supports .1q and .1p

Hope this helps

HPSN

:/ lolol ok so you missed the point of the thread but ok a nice bit of infomation if unlike me you know nothing about networks :roll:

QoS - the capability of a network to provide better service to selected network traffic over various technologies ( AKA voip and DLNA )

That is why we are descussing it here because we a face alot with sending to much data over the network and getting congestion when streaming HD video stream. But as i said above if the devices on the network dont support QoS then it not gunna help us much and as it a realitively new thing to the DLNA world i doubt many devices will support it but with out trying it or asking the makers we are not going to know.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:31 am

hpsn wrote:...802.1Q is a protocol used at Layer 2 to enable multiple VLANS on a single physical link. ...that means the switch will need to support VLANS, it will also need to support some QoS features.

Thanks for these information
hpsn wrote:If your switch is a dlink or just a normal consumer switch, i doubt it will support vlans let alone QoS features.

All my home network use normal consumer switch...so in fact QoS could not be used.
hpsn wrote:...QoS only kicks in when there is congestion on the link. If you PC is connected to a 1gbps port or even a 100Mbps ports and so is your client in an average home network, I doubt you will have congestion on any of the link.

Yes, I do not really have congestion problems on my home network...its just to understand what Qos option could improve.
hpsn wrote:In short...

In Short, I disable the QoS option... I learned something.
Thanks
Illico
<<

hpsn

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:09 am

Cerberus wrote: :/ lolol ok so you missed the point of the thread but ok a nice bit of infomation if unlike me you know nothing about networks :roll:

Umm, dont think so, the OP asked if enabling 802.1q tagging on his NIC will help with his DLNA stream, I simply explained what 802.1q is and how 802.1p is used. If he understands how the protocol works, he will understand how it may or may not help him. Knowledge is power. ;)

Cerberus wrote: QoS - the capability of a network to provide better service to selected network traffic over various technologies ( AKA voip and DLNA )

AKA = "also knows as", "Various technologies" are not also knows as VOIP or DLNA. And yes I knew what QoS is and how it is useful :)

Cerberus wrote: That is why we are descussing it here because we a face alot with sending to much data over the network and getting congestion when streaming HD video stream. But as i said above if the devices on the network dont support QoS then it not gunna help us much

Ok,sending a single HD stream (lets say 1080p) even over a Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) link will NEVER cause congestion, 1080p 24 HD stream requires (very roughly) 4-8Mbps, maybe a little more.

Also, once again, any QoS configuration on any decent network device will only kick in when congestion occurs on the link.

Cerberus wrote: and as it a realitively new thing to the DLNA world i doubt many devices will support it but with out trying it or asking the makers we are not going to know.

QoS can be implemented at Layer 2 or 3, DLNA works at Layer 7. It might be new in the sense that DLNA enabled media servers will start (or have just started) supporting 802.1p or DSCP. BUt you always had the capability of prioritizing traffic at the switch port with any decent switch, much before DLNA was ever invented.

And I guess I didnt miss the point of the thread as it seems the OP found my post quite helpful. ;)

I hope you do too :)

And the last thing I want is to come across as arrogant or start a flame war, so apologies if the post sounds bit arrogant, It is not.

To the OP - I am glad you found my post useful.

HPSN
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm

*Sigh* all i will say is illico turn the thing on and test it, then we will know for certain.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Cerberus wrote:*Sigh* all i will say is illico turn the thing on and test it, then we will know for certain.

Turned ON, no change, so turned OFF, thks.
Illico
<<

hpsn

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:34 am

Cerberus wrote:*Sigh* all i will say is illico turn the thing on and test it, then we will know for certain.

So once again, you have nothing useful to add...?

I would suggest that unless you can help people here, you keep your posts to minimal.

Sincerely hope that you do not apply this "turn it on and see what happens" policy to other things in your life !
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 am

Topic closed...on fire!!
Illico

Return to General discussion