FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DLNA and Display Aspect Ratio?

<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm

DLNA and Display Aspect Ratio?

Hi

I've just bought an LG 42LW650W on which I get videos through DLNA with incorrect aspect ratio (USB playing of the very same file works perfectly).
I wrote an email to LG asking how to solve this, and gets the response that the TV is showing what is feed to it. Before I reply, I would like to know how DLNA is specified with regard to Display Aspect Ratio - Is DAR send over DLNA? In other words, does the TV get the needed information?

Even if I somehow manage to convince LG that this should be fixed (right now I presume it is a flaw in the LG TV), I still would like the TV to show my movies with the correct aspect ratio, using the full screen estate.
Serviio can do that as far as I've learned, but how is different TVs handled? - I mean if this TV requires media in "this" format and that TV requires media in "that" format, how is this accomplished in a seamless way?

~Per
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: DLNA and Display Aspect Ratio?

Knaldgas wrote:Hi

I've just bought an LG 42LW650W on which I get videos through DLNA with incorrect aspect ratio (USB playing of the very same file works perfectly).
I wrote an email to LG asking how to solve this, and gets the response that the TV is showing what is feed to it. Before I reply, I would like to know how DLNA is specified with regard to Display Aspect Ratio - Is DAR send over DLNA? In other words, does the TV get the needed information?

Even if I somehow manage to convince LG that this should be fixed (right now I presume it is a flaw in the LG TV), I still would like the TV to show my movies with the correct aspect ratio, using the full screen estate.
Serviio can do that as far as I've learned, but how is different TVs handled? - I mean if this TV requires media in "this" format and that TV requires media in "that" format, how is this accomplished in a seamless way?

~Per

sadly LG dlna support on old models is CRAP so im not supprised but i have just seen sink information for a brand new LG and DLNA is perfect on it, so maybe they will update their older models firmware soon and fix all their bugs.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:59 am

Cerberus wrote:sadly LG dlna support on old models is CRAP so im not supprised...

I had hoped the LW (2011) models were not ... old :shock:

My question is: is Display Aspect Ratio delivered to the TV over DNLA?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 pm

LG profile doesnt anything so the file is delivered as-is. So it's up to the TV to decide on the aspect ratio. The information is usually stored in the file, so yes.
<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Where do I find information as to how to make a profile which transcodes MKV to MKV with anamorphic clipping - cutting top and bottom?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2956
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm not sure I understand this correctly: Do I need to recompile Serviio to achieve this?
If so, where do I get the source?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:54 pm

No, you write a script (examples are provided in that thread) which adds extra parameters to fix DAR and then call ffmpeg.

You then tell serviio to call your script (rather than calling ffmpeg directly).
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:37 am

Finally I've got some time again... :roll:
Thanks for the explanation. I will try to make a transcoding profile for my LG TV based on this info. :)
<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 am

Ok, let's see:
  1. Used the serviio-ffmpeg.pl script from Illico, put it in the bin-directory of serviio root.
  2. Changed the serviio.sh to include: -Dffmpeg.location=$SERVIIO_HOME/bin/serviio-ffmpeg.pl
  3. Used the profile from Cerberus: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5558&p=40142&hilit=LW550#p40142

However, serviio.log now complains with:
WARN [FFMPEGWrapper] FFmpeg is not compiled with librtmp support, RTMP streaming will not work.
WARN [FFMPEGWrapper] Could not work out FFmpeg default User-Agent

I suppose the serviio-ffmpeg.pl script causes these warnings, which seem to mean that point 2 actually works (the script gets called by serviio).

Any hints on how to proceed?
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Knaldgas wrote:Any hints on how to proceed?

Some informations:
1- This script is for debugging purpose and could help to resolved the aspect ratio issue on Sony Bravia TV. This is not an official script.
2- This script is only used when transcoding is applied (ffmpeg process will be wrapped), files delivered in native format or file remuxed are not concerned.
3- Do you check that the ffmpeg path on the serviio-ffmpeg.pl script, you have to use the ffmpeg delivered with Serviio installation package (.../serviio/lib).
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

Knaldgas

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:37 am

I am aware that the script is not production grade, but it seemed like a place to start.

I have ripped some movies with MakeMKV, and as I wrote, I'm using the profile from Cerberus: http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5558&p=40142&hilit=LW550#p40142. Shouldn't that profile enable transcoding for mkv files toward my TV? - The profile is selected correctly.

I cannot find ffmpeg as part of the serviio installation.
I've downloaded and extracted the serviio-0.6.2-linux.tar.gz but the ffmpeg application is nowhere to find in that archive (just a ffmpeg license).

And
  Code:
ffmpeg -protocols 2>/dev/null |grep rtm

gives
IO. rtmp
IO. rtmpt
IO. rtmpe
IO. rtmpte
IO. rtmps

Btw, I'm running Debian Wheezy.

Thanks.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:00 pm

Sorry, I could not help you when perl script is used on linux (mine is based on Windows OS).
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator

Return to General discussion