FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MKV file stuttering

<<

ssbib

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:48 pm

MKV file stuttering

Hello all. I have been using serviio for many years now and not really had any problems. However I have just bought a new PC and set up Serviio on it. However I cant play MKV files anymore as they stutter and jump about. I can't figure out why. I have installed Serviio many times and have always done it the same way. Why am I having problems all of a sudden? Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Re: MKV file stuttering

Sounds unlikely that the computer can't handle the stream, since it's brand new. What may be possible is that when you installed Serviio on the new computer, the incorrect profile was selected for your player. We need a little more information about your computer, player, and network type.

Is it Windows, Mac or Linux? What brand and model media playback device? Wired or Wi-Fi network?

What sort of video file is it: DVD rip? Blu-Ray? What type of container (MP4, MKV, AVI, etc.)? Oh, you said MKV. Does any other type of file play correctly? What video and audio codec is used?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

wiak

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:12 am

try wired, i had stuttering on wireless, but everything is fine on wired gigaibt
it also depends on the file too, some files can have high bitrate and if someone else is using the wireless it will bottleneck
<<

ssbib

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:27 am

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. Since posting I have figured out what is causing the stuttering. I am connected to the router via a TP Link wireless range extender. 4 months ago we were suffering from severe internet problems throughout the house which was part due to a bad router (since been replaced) and another being distance so we boguht the range extender. I have not used Serviio since getting this but hooked everything up when we got the new computer last weekend. If I remove the range extender everything works great, plug it back in and the MKV files stutter. I've noticed regular files take longer to start playing and I cant fast forward as effectively either. So does anyone know much about these range extenders? Is there a way I can leave it in for my other devices but have my blu ray player connect direct to the router or anything like that?

Thanks

Return to Serviio Support & Help