FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Online Sources / Transcoding issue & instant radio stations

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Online Sources / Transcoding issue & instant radio stations

I have 200 radio stations set-up under Library/Online Sources.
There has always been a problem with the time taken for the station to start playing. Sometimes it was 30 seconds, a minute, 2 minutes and sometimes it just "clagged".
I noticed that the native radio stations on other control apps or radio station apps work instantly but Serviio does not.

I have discovered that it is the profile transcoding that is the problem.

Remove the transcoding lines below from the profile and bingo - radio stations play instantly (sub 5 seconds) like on other apps.
<Audio targetContainer="mp3" aBitrate="320" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="flv"/>
<Matches container="asf"/>
<Matches container="rtp"/>
<Matches container="rtsp"/>
<Matches container="mp3"/>
<Matches container="mp4"/>
<Matches container="mpegts"/>
</Audio>

There may then be an issue for AAC files, which some stations use, if the renderer does not handle them. I have one that does and another that does not natively.
(this also references another topic about AAC handling that I posted without any response awhile ago (see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25763 ).
Also not sure if "audio" transcoding is used in online "video" use and if video is being impacted by this transcoding glitch.
I suggest the transcoding process needs to be investigated.

Radio stations now play beautifully. They are very fast, stable and play for hours.
Last edited by Paul C on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Re: Online Sources / Transcoding issue & instant radio stati

Paul C wrote:I have 200 radio stations set-up under Library/Online Sources.
There has always been a problem with the time taken for Online Sources/Radio station to start playing.
Other radio station apps work instantly but Serviio does not.

I have discovered that it is the profile transcoding that is the problem.

Remove the transcoding lines below from the generic profile and bingo - radio stations play instantly (sub 5 seconds) like on other apps.
<Audio targetContainer="mp3" aBitrate="320" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="flv"/>
<Matches container="asf"/>
<Matches container="rtp"/>
<Matches container="rtsp"/>
<Matches container="mp3"/>
<Matches container="mp4"/>
<Matches container="mpegts"/>
</Audio>

Radio stations now play beautifully. They are very fast, stable and play for hours.

Any input on this post?

It is rather strange to transcode "mp3" to "mp3".
Virtually none will be greater than 320 and there is no value in upscaling those below !
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

billalpert

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:10 pm

Re: Online Sources / Transcoding issue & instant radio stati

Hmm, I'm unable to get any stations playing on my device at all. Just posted about the issue here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29873

Wonder if you could point me in the right direction? Thanks, Bill A.

Return to Serviio Support & Help