FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MediaBrowser logs on from browser but shows no content

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 am

MediaBrowser logs on from browser but shows no content

I'm currently within Serviio Pro evaluation period, really considering the purchase but having some issues from web.
MediaBrowser is said to be available both from app (ServiiGo) AND web but logging from web shows no media, while app works fine.
Listing my actions so far:
- Installed Serviio console on a Windows 10 Pro machine (AMD Ryzen7 1800X on a MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon, 16 (soon to be 32) GBs RAM)
- Forwarded ports (both 23424 and 23524) to the static IP of the machine (green lights on both when checking from console)
- configured shared folders and the looks of the library (working perfectly on app)
- created a test user and assigned access to a test folder (planning to set up more in the future)
- added my ddns path and checked: works both from app (logs in and shows content) and web (logs in shows no content)

MY ATTEMPTS SO FAR INCLUDE:

- tried different browsers (Firefox,Chrome,Edge,Opera,Explorer)
- disabled every possible interference by browser plugins such as ad blockers or content managers (not even a "naked" EDGE gets results shown)
- tried deleting remaking the user and removing/reassigning folder access
- tried turning on and off Transcoding opiton (somewhere said to be needed from web)
- tried accessing from the very machine via DDNS
- tried accessing from the very machine via localhost

The fact that app works fine tells me that both console and user setup are correct, same for the ddns remote access, because from web I DO GET the login page, I can input credentials, it logs in (username shown at top left corner, under the MediaBrowser logo, also logout button shows up at top right) but besides that I just get a blank screen.

Since my installation is still in the making, I'm happy to share connection credentials for anyone to try:

DDNS: zanflix.ddns.net (http://zanflix.ddns.net:23424/mediabrowser)
User: prova
Pass: prova

You should have access to a folder called "TV REGISTRATA" (italian news, no copyrights) with 8 videos, both HD and lower quality.
I have no idea where to bang my head. :(
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 pm

Re: MediaBrowser logs on from browser but shows no content

That might be a case of user permissions assignment. For remote access, you not only need to create the user login and password, but you have to grant that user access to each Shared Library location. Look in the Serviio console under Library/Shared Folders. For each folder location you have, open it for editing and you'll find a section labeled "Users with access". It will list every user account you have created. Check the box with the user name that you want to be able to access that folder.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 pm

zanflix wrote:- created a test user and assigned access to a test folder (planning to set up more in the future)

"prova" user has access to the "TV REGISTRATA" folder, box ticked.
App works..browser doesn't.
Attachments
Image1.png
Serviio Console
Image1.png (42.24 KiB) Viewed 6418 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:15 pm

OK, thanks for checking that. It is where most users have made that error. I can't say why it's doing that now.

Does it appear the same from inside your network? In other words, from a computer inside your firewall. And is there any issue with the media appearing using a DLNA player (Smart TV, Roku, Blu Ray player, etc.) within your network? It is very odd that ServiiGo is working correctly but not MediaBrowser. I can't say if the Serviio log would be of any assistance with this. Perhaps Zip might have some idea.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:35 pm

atc98092 wrote:Does it appear the same from inside your network? In other words, from a computer inside your firewall.

The host machine is actually headless, I control it via RDP from my main computer: ALL browsers within the host or within the LAN or from outside (both via ddns or copied-pasted external IP) get the same issue.
I didn't even try to come up with a log file (even if i read about how it's usually needed) because Serviio is actually working, and so is MediaBrowser..from app only, though.
Didn't try other DLNA readers even if VLC in my AndroidBox DID show a "Serviio" source..but I have my libraries shared over SMB in my LAN..Serviio would be the key for sharing them with friends outside my network..but I can't have all of them download and install ServiiGo.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:23 pm

It would be interesting to see if VLC shows all the content, as it uses a different process than the browser to access the media.

But if I had to guess, perhaps something went awry during the install, and something didn't get set up properly. You're running Windows 10 Pro, same as I have on my primary server. But MB shows all my media on both my main server and my test server (Win 10 Home). I'm at a loss for an explanation. The Serviio log will be located in the C:\Program Files\Serviio\Log folder. Perhaps it shows an error that might be impacting the browser function.
Dan

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:12 am

Ok so, I did a whole reinstall, recreated the "prova" user wih the "prova" password, shared a folder (my pictures and videos), gave access to the user. Nothing changed.
Still able to see files from the app but not from ANY browser anywhere. Not even PICTURES which shouldn't need any processing.
I just noticed, while logged in from browser, refreshing the page kicks me back to login form.
Attachments
second half log.txt
(363.36 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
first half log.txt
I see nothing weird here..besides the fact it picks one of my action camera movies as "Barbie in the videogame world"
(320.71 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:12 pm

I see a lot of errors in the log, but most pertain to attempts to retrieve subtitles from Opensubtitles.org. None of your file names seem to represent what can be found in an online database. For example, B:\DIGITAL REEL\2018-07-20 - Motorshow S.Martino\Domenica\Canon\MVI_1175.MOV. I can't see how that can match up with a known title.

That one reference to a Barbie video game, it seems that Serviio is pulling that name out of the MP4 file, not from an online attempt to match the name. But I can't say for certain. As I said, your file names don't seem to be anything that can be found in an online database.

So, are the file names causing the issue? I can't say for certain. Since absolutely nothing is showing in MediaBrowser, not any presentation at all, I am at a complete loss over what's happening here.

Perhaps trying a few files that are named with the expected naming convention, and see if suddenly MB starts showing data. Even if it's a bogus name on a playable video file, just to see if it works. Make a copy of an existing video file and name it "Spaceballs (1987).mp4" (or whatever the actual file extension is).
Dan

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:23 pm

I was totally expecting errors retrieving metadata for the files, still filenames should be listed anyway, no matter the failed categorization..also because I turned off all the categorization display, telling the server to only display the folders content, no library structure..AND IT WORKS FROM APP!
My problem is the missing correspondence between app and web..not the functionalities themslves: another user I had set up has access to my whole library and perfectly fetches titles for everything (but for my own filmed content, of course)..but still doesn't work from web.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Yes, the folder view should show all titles, regardless of the file name. I simply have no idea what is going on with this. I'm going to ping Zip about this, in case he didn't see the thread.
Dan

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Just sent him a pm.. But i guess two pings are better than one ;)
<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm

No answers either here or via PM..my evaluation expires in 3 days :(
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:53 pm

I have no other way of reaching him myself, sorry.
Dan

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:56 pm

Aaand the evaluation period expired. Now the app shows the folder list but returns an error when trying to browse them.
The browser's mediabrowser now won't even log me in, saying I need a Pro version to see the content.
It's a shame that this topic wasn't even answered once, I hoped nearly 2 weeks and a PM to the developer would have been enough.
Thank you atc98092 for being of support.
I guess, sadly, this is the premature end of my Serviio experience.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:55 pm

Well, reinstalling Serviio does reset the evaluation period. I'm uncertain if you'd have to remove it first, or just reinstall the same version. I can't say why the developer hasn't responded, but I do know that while he's on here quite often, things has slowed down over the past year. I imagine COVID has had something to do with it, but he's in London and I'm near Seattle, almost a half world away. :)
Dan

<<

zanflix

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 am

Tried reinstalling and removing-reinstalling..didn't reset the evaluation. Probably some files hidden somewhere in order (rightfully) for people not to abuse the trial period.
And I guess 25$ is not much, but he probably doesn't need mine if he keeps silent.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:30 pm

Hum, before I paid for Pro, I would always get a fresh trial period. And a removal absolutely clears everything, as it doesn't store anything outside of the Serviio install folders. On Windows, there's nothing in the registry, other than the service install. And I have played with Serviio within VMs before and always had the trial period again. I agree, something remained in your install location. But that is easily resolved by ensuring the install location (on Windows that's C:\Program Files\Serviio) has been completely deleted.

Sorry we couldn't get it working for you.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help