FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Loading slowly MediaBrowser

<<

Reevz

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:59 am

Loading slowly MediaBrowser

Hello! I would like to know about viewing content through MediaBrowser . I have a QNAP NAS with Serviio server installed and Plex. I am trying to watch my movies online using these two servers. The problem is that through MediaBrowser the streaming video content loads very slowly, I see that the download is going on but at a very low speed, and the video freezes all the time, there is no such situation in Plex, there the player quickly loads the streaming video, loading the Internet channel, and in Due to this, there are no brakes in the video.
I noticed that if you watch the video while in the same country as the NAS server itself, then everything plays fine. But if you go abroad, then for some reason everything loads very slowly, without loading the Internet channel, although the speed in the channel is above 100 Mbps, and it loads somewhere around 3-4 Mbps. At the same time, the same Plex loads quickly, loading the Internet as it should.
The question is, is it possible to somehow speed up the video download process? Make it so that MediaBrowser uses the full width of the channel to download streaming video? Thank you.
<<

cmakula

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:36 pm

Re: Loading slowly MediaBrowser

There are a lot of variables to troubleshoot in this scenario... Let's try to sort out a few of them.

Here's the first one I would suggest trying: Can you connect to the same network as Serviio using a VPN?

If so, do a speedtest from the location and see what kind of throughput you get.

If not, try transferring a file from the QNAP (and I mean directly from the QNAP, downloaded from the interface) remotely, and see what speed you get.

Although Plex and Serviio serve similar functions from the end user's point of view, there are significant differences as to how the data is routed, cached, remotely evaluated by a third party (in the case of Plex), and handled, so it is not exactly a direct comparison. It is one of the reasons I prefer Serviio.
:ugeek:
Serviio Server - Dell PowerEdge R420, Dual Xeon E5-2420, 4x120 GB SSD RAID 0, 64 GB RAM (Serviio running from RAMdisk), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to NAS, Ubuntu 22.04.1 Minimal
NFS File Server - Synology DS1517+, 20TB disk space (5x4TB), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to Serviio Server
<<

Reevz

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:13 pm

cmakula wrote:There are a lot of variables to troubleshoot in this scenario... Let's try to sort out a few of them.

Here's the first one I would suggest trying: Can you connect to the same network as Serviio using a VPN?

If so, do a speedtest from the location and see what kind of throughput you get.

If not, try transferring a file from the QNAP (and I mean directly from the QNAP, downloaded from the interface) remotely, and see what speed you get.

Although Plex and Serviio serve similar functions from the end user's point of view, there are significant differences as to how the data is routed, cached, remotely evaluated by a third party (in the case of Plex), and handled, so it is not exactly a direct comparison. It is one of the reasons I prefer Serviio.

Hello! Thank you for responding. I tried all the options you suggested. I copied the file directly from QNAP, tried to do it through VPN, also through a network card, not through Wi-Fi, but still the same. Through plex, when viewing online, everything loads quickly, and the channel is fully used, with Serviio, the channel uses 3-5 Mbps, and everything slows down. If you play from the same region as QNAP, then everything goes quickly, and the channel is used full.
I still associate this with mediabrowser, although I prefer to use serviio , but alas, in this case it does not allow me to comfortably watch my videos through mediabrowser.
Any other guesses as to what it could be? Or, for example, what could be changed in the settings?
<<

Reevz

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:22 pm

Maybe this is of course related to ping, because in the place where I am now the ping is up to my QNAP 260 ms. And in the home region about 20 ms. But then the question is, what can be changed in Serviio so that it receives a full channel? And why does prex work well with such a ping?
<<

cmakula

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:26 pm

It is very much related to the ping times. Ping times, data transfer speeds, and latency are a function of your ISP and the routing of the data on the internet used to reach your device. You may need to contact your internet provider to fix the issue.

Plex uses online cache servers and does a speed/connectivity evaluation prior to playback. I won't say much beyond that... It comes down to a privacy/3rd party data access concern, but may benefit you when you are away from home or on a slow connection. ..And let's just say that your playback may not come from the same internet server your Plex home service is attached to...

You should bring up your concerns to your internet provider and give them as much information as you can. They should be able to fix (or at least work on) the Serviio/streaming issues for you because the delay is associated with their network.
:ugeek:
Serviio Server - Dell PowerEdge R420, Dual Xeon E5-2420, 4x120 GB SSD RAID 0, 64 GB RAM (Serviio running from RAMdisk), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to NAS, Ubuntu 22.04.1 Minimal
NFS File Server - Synology DS1517+, 20TB disk space (5x4TB), 4 NICs (aggregated to LAN), 10Gbe to Serviio Server

Return to Serviio Support & Help