FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Switched from Twonky to Serviio Mac OS 10.5

<<

SuperToast

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Switched from Twonky to Serviio Mac OS 10.5

Firstly.. I wish I had done my homework better and gone with Serviio rather than Twonky. If I can work out the remaining kinks I'm having, i'll gladly donate the price of Twonky to the Dev.

I have two devices connecting to the server. An Ipad and a Samsung C6500 BD player. The Ipad registers as "Generic DLNA" and the Samsung as Samsung C. As far as I can tell, the Samsung is getting the right device profile, but the Ipad, not. On the Ipad i'm using the "airplayer" app which works flawlessly, fast forward, reverse, pause... all work with every file type i've tried it with, if the audio gets out of sync it quickly rights itself and goes merrily along. The Samsung on the other hand.. not so good. When video starts playing (no transcoding) you'll quickly see which "tools" are available, such as forward and reverse, but everytime I try to FF it causes the frame to freeze and then shortly after drop the connection.

I'm wondering if it's just something simple in the device profile that I can fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks,
Bill
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: Switched from Twonky to Serviio Mac OS 10.5

SuperToast wrote:Firstly.. I wish I had done my homework better and gone with Serviio rather than Twonky. If I can work out the remaining kinks I'm having, i'll gladly donate the price of Twonky to the Dev.

I have two devices connecting to the server. An Ipad and a Samsung C6500 BD player. The Ipad registers as "Generic DLNA" and the Samsung as Samsung C. As far as I can tell, the Samsung is getting the right device profile, but the Ipad, not.

Ipad - Generic Profile ( there is no dedicated profile for ipad yet )

Samsung BDP - Samsung C Series Profile ( FFWD and RWD work fine with the < and > arrow keys 20 sec skips)

we are working on both profile at teh moment to get better functionality and will release new version of serviio once we are happy and so are teh betatesting team.

FYI - ZIP is our wonderful dev here.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

SuperToast

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, it may well be that as you say.. the FF and RW work using the arrows (yes, I know which arrows) but not for me. Not using the Samsung C device profile, anyways. I switched the Samsung over to Generic DLNA and now the FF and RW work fine. :?

But no harm no foul. I just am the type of person who can't stop thinking about why... And in that vein put the Samsung C profile through it's paces with every file type/bitrate combo I could dream up, all with the same result, Frozen screen and server disconnection.

Now if I could just slay the last dragon (which has nothing to do with Serviio) The Samsungs' internal wireless N radio is not dual band, and I live in a fairly populated area. I'm just trying to carve out a little peice of the spectrum I can call my own. It's kind of funny actually.... I can stream all day long with no problems, movie after movie... but when 5 o'clock comes around and everyone starts using their gadgets.... BLAM! No more fast network for YOU! I'm thinking of becoming like the FCC of my HOA.. Go around and assign every household a channel, yanking all the old cordless phones and microwaves. Now that would be good use of HOA dues!

-b
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:50 pm

SuperToast wrote:Well, it may well be that as you say.. the FF and RW work using the arrows (yes, I know which arrows) but not for me. Not using the Samsung C device profile, anyways. I switched the Samsung over to Generic DLNA and now the FF and RW work fine. :?

But no harm no foul. I just am the type of person who can't stop thinking about why... And in that vein put the Samsung C profile through it's paces with every file type/bitrate combo I could dream up, all with the same result, Frozen screen and server disconnection.

What version of serviio are you using and what firmware/tv model do you have as i have never heard of serviio and a samsung C series TV ever crashing or freezing, have you modified the samsung profile in any way.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging

Return to User experiences