FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

I just ran the "network test" and it says it is connected.
<<

Cerberus

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 4116

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Location: Reading, UK

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

my only other guess is firewall is blocking serviio on your pc.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

Serviio is listed as an exception for my firewall. Just now I turned off the firewall and the anti-virus and still nothing.

I was able to use Samsung's PC Share Manager, so I know physically it is possible, but it was intermittent. I saw Serviio mentioned on another site as a better alternative so thought I would give it a try. I assume there is something I have done wrong inadvertently in the setup.

Thanks for trying.
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:18 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

Ok I have a change here now. I ran the "network test" on the TV and it still said it was connected. Then I disconnected it and re-connected and re-ran the network test and it said it was not connected and my ip address was wrong. I had listed the ip of the tv on the manual setup, but then told it to do an automatic setup and assumed it had taken the same ip number. I changed the ip address to that of the PC and re-connected. It then said it was connected to the network.

I turned off and on the server and now Serviio sees the TV. But the TV doesnt see the pc or Serviio.

Dare I change the details that Serviio came up with in the device name and profile to see if that would help? and could it help?
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:34 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

PaDeng wrote:Ok I have a change here now. I ran the "network test" on the TV and it still said it was connected. Then I disconnected it and re-connected and re-ran the network test and it said it was not connected and my ip address was wrong. I had listed the ip of the tv on the manual setup, but then told it to do an automatic setup and assumed it had taken the same ip number. I changed the ip address to that of the PC and re-connected. It then said it was connected to the network.

I turned off and on the server and now Serviio sees the TV. But the TV doesnt see the pc or Serviio.

Dare I change the details that Serviio came up with in the device name and profile to see if that would help? and could it help?
Dare I ...ha. I dared but it is still onesided. Serviio sees the tv but tv is blind.

that's it for now. thanks again.
<<

Cerberus

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 4116

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Location: Reading, UK

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

PaDeng wrote:
PaDeng wrote:Ok I have a change here now. I ran the "network test" on the TV and it still said it was connected. Then I disconnected it and re-connected and re-ran the network test and it said it was not connected and my ip address was wrong. I had listed the ip of the tv on the manual setup, but then told it to do an automatic setup and assumed it had taken the same ip number. I changed the ip address to that of the PC and re-connected. It then said it was connected to the network.

I turned off and on the server and now Serviio sees the TV. But the TV doesnt see the pc or Serviio.

Dare I change the details that Serviio came up with in the device name and profile to see if that would help? and could it help?
Dare I ...ha. I dared but it is still onesided. Serviio sees the tv but tv is blind.

that's it for now. thanks again.


dont set a fixed ip on the TV let the router set one for you. only set a bound IP for the pc in serviio console, the way router work are you either have ALL fixed Ips or ALL auto not a combination of teh 2 or u run into issues. :)

BTW you cnat have to devices with teh same IP it wont work..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

Apparently I was wrong as to the ip addresses of my tv and pc. I don't know how it worked sometimes in PC Share Manager. My PC is 192.168.1.2 and the tv is 192.168.1.3 when I change to this, and use the "manual" setup, I can connect with my PCSHAREMANAGER. But then I shut that off and try to connect with Serviio. Serviio sees TV but TV does not see Serviio.


If you have time for stupid questions, can you tell me where I find out what the ip addresses are? There must be something in Windows that will tell me so that I am not guessing.
<<

Cerberus

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 4116

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Location: Reading, UK

Post Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

PaDeng wrote:Apparently I was wrong as to the ip addresses of my tv and pc. I don't know how it worked sometimes in PC Share Manager. My PC is 192.168.1.2 and the tv is 192.168.1.3 when I change to this, and use the "manual" setup, I can connect with my PCSHAREMANAGER. But then I shut that off and try to connect with Serviio. Serviio sees TV but TV does not see Serviio.


If you have time for stupid questions, can you tell me where I find out what the ip addresses are? There must be something in Windows that will tell me so that I am not guessing.


dont use manual setup for the tv use the auto settings. also check upnp is enabled on your router.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Sun May 01, 2011 3:27 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

Tv is on auto settings. Upnp is allowed through the firewall (Windows). But if I need to enable it somehow in the router, I do not currently know how to do that. I will have to research that tomorrow.
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Mon May 02, 2011 3:38 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

Update for you. Just now, I can make everything work. Serviio works, Samsung PC Share Manager works (of course not at the same time :roll:) But NOT if I set the Samsung C series 32 TV to Auto in the internet protocol. If I set it on manual and enter the data myself, it will work wirelessly. Hopefully this is not intermittent success!

Thank you for all your help.
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Mon May 02, 2011 7:47 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

Lord-willing this is my final update. It appears to me that the problem is the router. We have a second PC-- and if I allow the router to automatically assign the ip number to the TV, when the second PC is on, I lose my Serviio connection. Because the router (I think) changes the ip number of the TV, and the laptop (which runs the server) still thinks the TV is a different ip. Hence my connection to the tv is lost. I have had intermittent problems all along and it appears that if I manually assign the ip number to the TV, it can maintain the connection whether or not the second PC is on or off or its status changes. Just thought I would pass this on to you fyi.

If you think this is inaccurate assessment I would appreciate your feedback. Right now I am good to go. Thanks.
<<

Cerberus

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 4116

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Location: Reading, UK

Post Mon May 02, 2011 7:51 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

PaDeng wrote:Lord-willing this is my final update. It appears to me that the problem is the router. We have a second PC-- and if I allow the router to automatically assign the ip number to the TV, when the second PC is on, I lose my Serviio connection. Because the router (I think) changes the ip number of the TV, and the laptop (which runs the server) still thinks the TV is a different ip. Hence my connection to the tv is lost. I have had intermittent problems all along and it appears that if I manually assign the ip number to the TV, it can maintain the connection whether or not the second PC is on or off or its status changes. Just thought I would pass this on to you fyi.

If you think this is inaccurate assessment I would appreciate your feedback. Right now I am good to go. Thanks.


nope that would make sense it causiing a network ip clash your second ip and tv are being given the same ip by your router.

what make/model is your router?
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

well I am back on automatic. It would not work with the manual this evening and the only way it would work again was to go to automatic. I will wait and see when we shut off the second PC tonight to see if I lose my connection to the server.
And I thought I was beginning to understand this thing, obviously not.

And my router is a "Billion" brand, Wireless-G ADSL router, I think somewhere I saw the number 802.11. It was provided to us by our ISP.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Posts: 1871

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Location: Ohio USA

Post Mon May 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

If you look on the bottom of the router you should see the model number. That was we can see if there is any setting in the modem setup causing problems.

Here is the link to the user manuals for your brand of routers.
http://au.billion.com/product/usermanual.php

Please post the model number of your router.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Cerberus

User avatar

DLNA master

Posts: 4116

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:20 pm

Location: Reading, UK

Post Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

moltra wrote:If you look on the bottom of the router you should see the model number. That was we can see if there is any setting in the modem setup causing problems.

Here is the link to the user manuals for your brand of routers.
http://au.billion.com/product/usermanual.php

Please post the model number of your router.


ok so not a BRAND name router. from a quick google on billion and dlna it seem alot of people are having issue with it and this is most likely the route of your issue so my advise would be to take the billion router out of the mix and try another router and i have a feeling that will solve your issues.

my recommended makes of router ( my personal opinion )

linksys, d-link, netgear, belkin and for advanced users cisco. There are lots of models by these makers but if you stick to them and a newish made model then you should have little probelms.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Posts: 1871

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Location: Ohio USA

Post Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

If your TV and computer will support, I would recommend upgrading your router to a 802.11 N router. The "N" version is the latest and increases the wireless connection from 54 to either 150 or 300 depending on the version of "N" you upgrade to. If you want to stream HD video wirelessly then you will want the "N" version for sure. The "N" version also supports "G" also.

The main thing is to make sure any router you get is compatible with your current computers and TV.

There is 3 wireless specifications out right now.

B - oldest and rarest - 11 Mbps
G - what you are running now and the most common - 54 Mbps
N - the newest - 150-300 Mbps
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

PaDeng

Serviio newbie

Posts: 16

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Post Tue May 03, 2011 4:09 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

BTW the router is Billion, Model BiPAC 5200G RD

and I just read that Samsung recommends the 802.11N also.

At this moment I can run Serviio. Looks like I have to turn off and on the router and re-connect the TV to the network and turn the server off and on to get all machines to agree on the ip number the router assigns. :cry: and of course I pray :D

Thank you again--
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Posts: 1871

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Location: Ohio USA

Post Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 am

Re: server doesn't appear on Samsung TV UE46C8700

You are welcome if you have any more problems let us know.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
Previous

Return to Samsung

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.