FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

streaming desk top to tv

<<

DimPan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Re: streaming desk top to tv

jhb50 wrote:
DimPan wrote:I copied the bat file and saved it on my desktop. I noticed some extra spaces in between some command switches so I fixed that making sure there is always only one space. Obviously, I also had to modify the path to VLC and the audio device name.I can see the video (and subtitles) fine, no studder, no freezing BUT I have no sound.!

If your spaces removal and audio device name change were correct you probably did not enable the device under playback devices.

--> I copied the bat straight from that box (with the slider) in the wiki page. I pasted it in a txt file and changed the file extension to bat (I suppose cmd also works). Then I disabled word wrapping and observed the contents. I noticed that between switches (is this how they're called?) there is one space only except towards the end where I noticed one place with 3 spaces and another with 2. As best as I know an extra space does not break a bat/cmd file but I went ahead and made sure there were only "one-space" gaps throughout. As far as the audio filter I replaced what was originally there with this string: "virtual-audio-capturer". Then I realized that the video filter string had no quotes (i.e. video-screen-recorder ) so I removed the quotes altogether. I have not changed anything else. I am positive the audio filter name is correct, I typed it exactly as it shows under VLC-Media-Streaming-Audio filter.

Also, in the bat there is a remarked line saying "A corresponding player must be started using HTTP" - what does this mean?

VLC is creating a stream You need to start
Serviio, or MPlayer or another instance of VLC to play the stream.

--> I am -obviously- using Serviio so this is fine. However, on the desktop I mainly use full screen (1280x1024) MediaPlayerClassic to view my videos. I suppose this is fine too. I can hear the audio from the PC but not from the TV. The streaming video is of great quality, I mean I am very happy considering the amount of work taking place in the network to and from the NAS server, the PC, Serviio, SONY SMP-N100 and ultimately the TV. But there is no audio

Finally, would it be OK to -freely- modify the settings that affect video/audio quality (fps, scale, audio bitrate etc.) or do I stick to what's in the bat?

I only support what is in the bat but you are free to break it.

--> I read somewhere in the wiki that it is OK to experiment with some parts of the bat i.e. the video bitrate and the caching time. That's why I am asking if the other parameters as well are "fair game". E.g. With MP3, 192 is high for my current needs, I can go as low as 96 or even 64 and not be bothered. Also, more caching is needed but only if you experience timeouts (which I do not) but a few extra seconds of buffering won't hurt right? Finally about screen resolution: Until now, I could play a 640x480 movie (avi) from my NAS server via Serviio (i.e. directly and not by desktop streaming) on my TV and I am very content with the quality. Is there a reason why the capturing has to be set at a rather high 1280? If I reduce my screen to 800x600 and repeat the streaming my CPU barely goes over 20%. Do you see my point and what am I missing here?

Thanks again for your time!
Last edited by DimPan on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:20 pm

you probably did not enable the device under playback devices

..as explained in the wiki

& probably lots of settings will work and lots will not work but I only support the 1280x720 streaming,

& please don't use blue..its too hard to read.
<<

DimPan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:38 am

you probably did not enable the device under playback devices
...as explained in the wiki

--> Now you have me utterly confused!

The only reference in the entire wiki document that mentions the word "enable" is this:

"To setup VAC for streaming, in the Sound Control panel for both Recording and Playback,(accessable by right clicking the Speaker icon in the System tray) right click the Vac “Line 1” and select “Set as Default Device”. This causes the audio from all applications to be connected to the input of the VAC cable and enables the VAC cable output to be available for VLC to stream the application audio. This also disconnects the PC mic and speakers while you are streaming. For VACGD no setup is required as it will stream the default sound card output at full volume even if the speaker volume is turned off or muted."

However, this is clearly about the alternative solution (VAC audio filter) and not the VACGD which I am using. In the wiki's own words "For VACGD no setup is required".

So what device are you talking about that I -probably- did not enable under playback devices? If I click in system tray under playback devices I see two entries: Digital Audio (HDMI) and Speakers, but no virtual-audio-capturer. I am using Windows 7 (x32) sp1.

So, I still do not have sound on the TV from the streamed desktop, a pity because using your bat is really easy and everything works flawlessly (except the audio). Is there a way to trouble shoot step by step the path of the sound to find out where it fails? I know 'Media Player Classic' has sound, I see its icon in the tray while playing. But what after that?

& probably lots of settings will work and lots will not work but I only support the 1280x720 streaming,

--> I can confirm that the following works all the time: First I configure the SCR settings using the configuration utility provided by the software. Then make sure the bat reflects these settings. I have also changed the mp3 quality setting and experimented with the buffering delay (caching). All work fine, as long as my desktop also follows these settings. I have settled however, at your recommended resolution (1280x720) since it also matches the 16:9 resolution of my TV and subsequently the settings in Serviio. So the bat can be modified but only with (a lot of) trial and error/success anyone can tell.

& please don't use blue..its too hard to read.

--> Sorry I changed it! I used it obviously to make my writing separate from your replies. In my browser I have changed the forum's style to black text on white background. Unfortunately, and you are right, blue on black is unbearable. I was not aware until you mentioned it.
<<

DLNAhooray

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:08 am

jhb50 wrote:It would be helpful f you just pasted the ffmpeg results rather than using an external upload service. http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=cmd_console

OK. Wasn't aware of that trick.

jhb50 wrote:A second look at your result shows 1280x800 so I would not expect that to display correctly on a 720p tv either. Probably the TV is rescaling it to fit.

My TV is a Panasonic TX-L37GW20 with a specified resolution of 1920x1080. What made you think a 720p TV was being used?
I have run a couple of new tests:
1. In my StreamDesktop.bat I changed ",scale=0.5,width=1280," to ",width=1280,height=720," which changed the "1280x800" that you saw in the ffmpeg results to "1280x720", but which achieved no improvement at all in the TV image quality
2. Retaining the above bat change I tried setting my PC desktop to 1280x720, again with no improvement in the TV image quality but resulting in the streamed desktop image occupying only the top left quarter of the TV screen

jhb50 wrote:PS: I get the same ffmpeg messages. Also remember to "open the stream on your pc and see if the quality is fine there. If so it is a TV rendering problem.

Opening up a second VLC instance and running http://@localhost:8081 in Media>Open network stream I see an infinite number of mirrored displays of my desktop (I assume this is normal). The largest of these images shows the same poor image quality that I described in my 16 Feb post above.

Any further ideas you may have would be appreciated!
<<

DimPan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:07 pm

@ DLNHooray --> I did the same thing (i.e. start a second VLC instance and running http://@localhost:8081) and I believe what we see is "visual echo". VLC streams what is in the desktop, INCLUDING the 2nd VLC instance, then this is reproduced, again and again, essentially duplicating itself each time. So I think this is normal but I'll wait for an expert to confirm.

--

In my case the reason I did that was to test if my streaming includes sound. And, YES, it does include sound. So, the setup is correct. VLC is capturing whatever is on the desktop PLUS the main speaker output BEFORE the volume control. That's why the advice in the wiki is, when streaming to turn off the speakers at the PC.

So, anyone can help me troubleshoot at which step the sound is "dropped". I know VLC is streaming video AND audio but somewhere down in the chain it fails.

My setup is: NAS media server (D-Link) --> Windows 7 PC and MediaPlayer Classic --> VLC --> Serviio --> SONY SMP-N100 --> Westinghouse TV (HDMI).

Thank you !
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:57 pm

So, anyone can help me troubleshoot at which step the sound is "dropped". I know VLC is streaming video AND audio but somewhere down in the chain it fails.

So while you are streaming, make sure you can also hear sound from your PC speakers. You can then only turn the PC sound off with the controls in the system tray. If you use the volume control in MPC it will mute both the PC and the TV.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:15 pm

The largest of these images shows the same poor image quality that I described in my 16 Feb post above.

That indicates to me that the screen capture is defective with whatever screen driver you are using. Obviously if it is captured incorrectly it will not playback any better once put into a stream and played with the pc or tv.

I can only suggest that you ensure your PC screen resolution is divisible by 8 ie: 1280x768 or 1280x720 and that when you configure SCR with its utility that you leave all fields blank so it is set to its default which is to capture that whole screen. If that does not work, you will have to contact the SCR author, since the problem is upstream from the wiki process.
<<

DimPan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:48 pm

jhb50 wrote:

So while you are streaming, make sure you can also hear sound from your PC speakers. You can then only turn the PC sound off with the controls in the system tray. If you use the volume control in MPC it will mute both the PC and the TV.

YES, I hear sound when MPC is playing the movie and I have set -both- the MPC volume AND the windows volume at 100%. I just turn off my monitor attached speakers.

The more I look into it, the more it drives me nuts. If MPC plays sound OK and if VLC does stream that sound along with the desktop video, then the next logical step in the chain of devices is Serviio, right? If YES, how can I verify that Serviio does relay the audio part it's receiving? I already know that it has no problem with the video!

Thank you!
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:44 am

I'd guess that the VACGD does not work correctly with your sound card and so does not capture the audio from it to pass to VLC for streaming.

The way to check that is to play your movie and play the stream on your PC in another instance of VLC. If the VLC is outputting audio it will be delayed and you will hear and echo or the VLC audio later than the MPC audio. If there is no echo then the stream has no audio.

The other thing to do is run ffpmeg -i against the stream and see if it says there is audio present in the stream.

Assuming VACGD is the problem, your other choice is to use VAC, or see if your sound card has a "Stereo Mix" output under "Recording Devices".
If you enable "Stereo Mix" it should show as an available device in VLC and you can change the command to use that device in place of VACGD.

This is not documented in the wiki because until recently I was unable to get mine to show in VLC even though it was enabled. Strangely after I disabled all my Playback devices it shows in VLC and works fine.
<<

DimPan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:44 am

YES, when I open a 2nd instance of VLC and play the stream at http://localhost:8081 I do hear an echo, same audio playing with delay again and again.

When I run ffmpeg against the stream I get the following:

C:\Program Files\Serviio\lib>ffmpeg -i "http:localhost:8081"
ffmpeg version 0.9, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Dec 13 2011 20:46:11 with gcc 4.4.2
configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffs
erver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --extra-libs='
-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enab
le-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-mingw32- --pkg-config=pkg-co
nfig
libavutil 51. 32. 0 / 51. 32. 0
libavcodec 53. 42. 0 / 53. 42. 0
libavformat 53. 24. 0 / 53. 24. 0
libavdevice 53. 4. 0 / 53. 4. 0
libavfilter 2. 53. 0 / 2. 53. 0
libswscale 2. 1. 0 / 2. 1. 0
[mpeg2video @ 03011280] mpeg_decode_postinit() failure
Last message repeated 6 times
[mpegts @ 01787f00] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #0, mpegts, from 'http:localhost:8081':
Duration: N/A, start: 34371.847967, bitrate: 10192 kb/s
Program 1
Stream #0:0[0x44]: Audio: mp3 ([3][0][0][0] / 0x0003), 44100 Hz, stereo, s16
, 192 kb/s
Stream #0:1[0x45]: Video: mpeg2video (Main) ([2][0][0][0] / 0x0002), yuv420p
, 1280x720 [SAR 3:4 DAR 4:3], 10000 kb/s, 25.36 fps, 24 tbr, 90k tbn, 48 tbc
At least one output file must be specified

I do not know what the errors (in red and yellow) mean but it appears that desktop-capturing is working and the stream contains video AND audio.

BTW, here is the bat contents, in case you wanted to confirm if it's OK:

Code:
@echo off

:This bat is used to stream the desktop with VLC using HTTP
:A corresponding player must be started using HTTP

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv dshow:// --sout=#transcode{venc=ffmpeg,vcodec=mp2v,vb=10000,fps=24,scale=0.5,width=1280,acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=http,mux=ts,dst=:8081} --no-sout-rtp-sap --no-sout-standard-sap --ttl=1 --sout-keep   :dshow-vdev=screen-capture-recorder :dshow-adev=virtual-audio-capturer  :dshow-caching=2000

:Exit

My PC does not have a "Stereo Mix" output under "Recording Devices". Not sure how to access -if possible- these settings "under the hood". Right clicking on the speaker icon in the system-tray does not seem to be the same with the information you posted. Could it be that you are using -I suppose- a serious add-in Sound Card and I am relying on a motherboard embedded one? I do have a spare "Sound Blaster - Audigy2 zs", I believe it is a decent -albeit, older- (ΙSΑ)card. Shall I try to use that and see what happens?

Also, is it better (or not) if I tried this on Windows XP instead of Windows7, is there a preferred OS?

--

Thanks for your feedback, if you feel this is not going anywhere please let me know, I do not want to impose or waste your time.

Thank you very much!
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:20 pm

when I open a 2nd instance of VLC and play the stream at http://localhost:8081 I do hear an echo, same audio playing with delay again and again

Everything confirms that you have a stream with both audio and video, so it should play fine on the TV. There are lots of reports in the forum about problems with the SONY SMP-N100 so I think you will have to post a new thread to try and fix that problem. You have not said what other streams work or do not work for you but thats a place to start. Maybe its a simple profile problem for your device but you won't find help for it in this thread.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:06 pm

DLNAhooray: I've gone back over all the posts which I've summarized below:
  Code:
The monitor resolution is 1920 x 1200
VLC version is 1.1.11
width=1920
I can see my desktop in a second instance of VLC
it was closed by the TV, it didn't like something about it.
changing from 1920 to 1280 did the trick. I can now see my desktop on the TV
Sadly, the image on the TV is of very poor quality
Screen Capture Recorder is configured for 24 fps with its other parameters left blank

I've now tried setting 30 fps in SCR and keeping 24 in StreamDesktop.bat, but no change in the TV pic quality.I've also tried adjusting vb=10000 up to 20000 (pic quality worse) and down to 1000 (pic quality worse)

Setting my graphics driver (AMD Vision Engine Control Center) for 1920x1080 and trying the code first for 1280x720 and then for full screen also made no difference.

I tried setting my PC desktop to 1280x720, again with no improvement in the TV image quality but resulting in the streamed desktop image occupying only the top left quarter of the TV screen

Opening up a second VLC instance and running http://@localhost:8081 in Media>Open network stream I see an infinite number of mirrored displays of my desktop (I assume this is normal). The largest of these images shows the same poor image quality that I described in my 16 Feb post above.

Your last post confirms that the poor image exists when playing the stream on the PC so that rules out the TV as the problem. It has to be at the screen grabbing level.

They also show that your monitor was always set to its native 1920 resolution, but your last post seems to indicate that you tried setting your monitor to 1280x720 as well so the grabber should have just sent 1280 to vlc which puts 1280 in the stream, so again the problem has to be how the grabbing was done.

But your statement "I tried setting my PC desktop to 1280x720, again with no improvement in the TV image quality but resulting in the streamed desktop image occupying only the top left quarter of the TV screen" makes no sense unless you mean that you set the capture area to 1280 rather than the PC desktop to 1280. If you had set the monitor resolution to 1280 then the whole screen would show on the TV.

So all the problems exist when trying to capture from a 1920 resolution monitor and I can only suggest that you change your monitor resolution to 1280 and test again.
<<

DimPan

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:42 pm

jhb50 wrote:
when I open a 2nd instance of VLC and play the stream at http://localhost:8081 I do hear an echo, same audio playing with delay again and again

Everything confirms that you have a stream with both audio and video, so it should play fine on the TV. There are lots of reports in the forum about problems with the SONY SMP-N100 so I think you will have to post a new thread to try and fix that problem. You have not said what other streams work or do not work for you but thats a place to start. Maybe its a simple profile problem for your device but you won't find help for it in this thread.

Thanks again for the feedback!

YES, I think that the problem -most likely- is with the SONY SMP-N100, so far it plays online streams from the internet i.e. you tube etc provided Serviio is properly configured and yes, I did that with the help of this forum. Unfortunately this is clearly out of my league, it sounds like it will require a lot of time for all involved. I do not want to impose so I will gracefully stop posting about this. It is a pity because I did like Serviio very much, however this is not something the average person can do, it demands a deeper knowledge in the ..."tech department" which I do not have, and I do not want to make my problem someone else's problem.

--

Before I sign-off for the last time, may I please ask you the following short questions?

--> Q1. The errors in my "ffmpeg -i http://localhost:8081" command (red and yellow font) are they critical? Can you explain if I need to fix them?

--> Q2. Is there a way to verify (from inside Serviio) that while playing a LiveFeed, Serviio indeed "receives" AND "sends" Video AND Audio content?

--> Q3. You mentioned this may be a "simple profile problem" for my device. If you were me, what key words would you put in the forum search function to find the best thread to post/ask for help there? E.g. "SONY SMP N100" "profile problem" "live feed no audio". I tried a few quick ones but the shear number of "matches" found is discouraging.

Thank you so very much for you time and support with this! :D
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 pm

--> Q1. The errors in my "ffmpeg -i http://localhost:8081" command (red and yellow font) are they critical? Can you explain if I need to fix them?

--> so long as the embedded streams display their characteristics I think they can be ignored. I do.

--> Q2. Is there a way to verify (from inside Serviio) that while playing a LiveFeed, Serviio indeed "receives" AND "sends" Video AND Audio content?

--> I think the debug log indicates when the TV requests data and how/when serviio sends it. I've not used it.

--> Q3. You mentioned this may be a "simple profile problem" for my device. If you were me, what key words would you put in the forum search function to find the best thread to post/ask for help there? E.g. "SONY SMP N100" "profile problem" "live feed no audio". I tried a few quick ones but the shear number of "matches" found is discouraging.

--> just open a new thread named ""SONY SMP N100 no audio with live stream".. include your ffmpeg output and ask for help.
<<

svcds

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 pm

hi i am using windows xp and serviio but it doesn't work :( can you write an installation guide step by step?
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 pm

can you write an installation guide step by step?

As posted earlier in this thread, the step by step process is simple and if you reread the wiki you will see that it is 1. Install VLC, 2 Install screen Filter, 3 install audio filter, 4 run the bat, 5,setup serviio to read the stream. I can't make it simpler than that.
<<

svcds

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 am

jhb50 wrote:
can you write an installation guide step by step?

As posted earlier in this thread, the step by step process is simple and if you reread the wiki you will see that it is 1. Install VLC, 2 Install screen Filter, 3 install audio filter, 4 run the bat, 5,setup serviio to read the stream. I can't make it simpler than that.

if i start the bat, there doesn't happen anything! It opens VLC but that's it although I installed the filters.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 am

step 4 is not supposed to do anything.
<<

DLNAhooray

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:38 pm

jhb50 wrote:... Your last post confirms that the poor image exists when playing the stream on the PC so that rules out the TV as the problem. It has to be at the screen grabbing level.

They also show that your monitor was always set to its native 1920 resolution, but your last post seems to indicate that you tried setting your monitor to 1280x720 as well so the grabber should have just sent 1280 to vlc which puts 1280 in the stream, so again the problem has to be how the grabbing was done.

But your statement "I tried setting my PC desktop to 1280x720, again with no improvement in the TV image quality but resulting in the streamed desktop image occupying only the top left quarter of the TV screen" makes no sense unless you mean that you set the capture area to 1280 rather than the PC desktop to 1280. If you had set the monitor resolution to 1280 then the whole screen would show on the TV.

So all the problems exist when trying to capture from a 1920 resolution monitor and I can only suggest that you change your monitor resolution to 1280 and test again.

Firstly let me address your query as to PC screen resolution versus screen capture size . . .
- I've again tried adjusting my screen resolution while using your standard StreamDesktop.bat and with all configurable Screen Capture Recorder settings left blank (inc. fps) and with the SCR "display current capture settings" report confirming all settings indeed blank, with the following results:
1280x720: the image on the TV occupied an area in the top left corner 54.5cm wide (TV is 80cm wide). Image overscanned along left and top edges
1366x768: ditto except image 58cm wide
1440x900: ditto except image 61.5cm wide
1600x1200: ditto except image 69cm wide
1920x1080: image on TV this time full screen, overscanned on all edges
- I've also played with configuring screen capture (1) by resizing a transparent window and (2) by entering h 720 and w 1280, in each case changing your StreamDesktop.bat to show ",width=,height=," (ie. no specific settings imposed). The result brought no improvement in the image on the TV, the pic quality being poor exactly as previously described.
- I don't think we need to pursue the above any further since in all cases there was no improvement in the image quality and I see no reason not to stay with your Wiki recommendations.

For me, the big problem is the TV image quality. Have you any recommendations re troubleshooting the "grabbing" (whatever that means)?
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 am

All this implies that your TV is not mapping the input resolution to fit the TV screen and is showing everything at 1920x1080 resolution. ie a 1280x720 input is fit up in a corner rather than filling the whole screen.
I think there is a TV setting that will fix that. My TV maps my input resolution to fit the screen, so my WII and my DVR at 480 resolution don't fit in a corner but rather they are mapped to the whole screen.
Similarly my 1280 streamed desktop fills the screen, as does the 1920x1080 from my BR player.
If all your sources are 1920x1080 then you have not needed that auto adjustment but setting it will not impact your normal mode of operation and might fix your problem..
Thats all I can think of.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion